When a person has diabetes, either their body does not produce enough insulin, or it cannot use the insulin correctly, so glucose accumulates in the blood. High levels of blood glucose can cause a range of symptoms, from exhaustion to heart disease. The Glycemic Index (GI) measures the effects of specific foods on blood sugar levels. People looking to control their levels should pick foods with low or medium GI scores.
- WHOLE WHEAT BREAD: Most of the foods are rich in carbs and their ingredients undergo less processing as compared to those of whole wheat bread. Processing removes fibrous outer shells which reduces digestion and controls blood sugar level.
- 2. FRUITS: Most fruits excluding melons and pineapples have low GI score because all the other fruits have enough water and fibre in order to balance out their natural sugar called Fructos. As the fruits ripen their GI score increases. The fact that juicing fruits also removes the fibre and the seeds which are required to reduce the GI score is harmful too.
- SWEET POTATOES & YAMS: Regular potatoes have very high GI score as compared to sweet potatoes and yams. In a study, it has been proven that sweet potatoes’ flesh is very fibrous than the outer skin but in totality, it’s a very nutritious and tastier alternative as compared normal potatoes.
- OATMEAL: With a GI score of less than 55, oatmeal can be counted among the healthier options which do not trouble with hike and spike in blood sugar levels. Oats also contain B-glucans, which can do the following:
- Reduce glucose and insulin responses after meals
- Improve insulin sensitivity
- Help maintain glycemic control
- Reduce blood lipids (fats)
- NUTS: Nuts also contain high levels of plant proteins, unsaturated fatty acids, and other nutrients, including:
- Antioxidant vitamins
- Phytochemicals, such as flavonoids
- Minerals like potassium and magnicium
- YOGURT: It is one of the very few dairy products which actually do not lead to blood sugar flux. But the catch is, the unsweetened yogurt does it for you. Greek yogurt is a good choice for it.
Finally a word of advice which actually will lead to success after following the compact diet mentioned above. Regular exercise is the key to making it all a success. Keep your body active and healthy.